Drake Bay is a spectacular place to visit. However, in order to make your stay more enjoyable, please, read the following information:
- There is not any bank or ATM in Drake Bay. The closest ones are in Palmar Norte. We suggest bringing enough cash for your stay, some restaurants don’t accept credit cards.
In Cabinas Murillo and the supermarkets, credit cards are accepted. In any place in the village, you can pay cash: dollars or colones. Traveler checks are not used anymore.
- In the hotel there is a fully equipped kitchen where you will be able to cook. In the village, there are grocery stores nearby to get supplies to prepare your own meals. Supermarkets open from 5am to 9pm and they have a little bit of everything.
- Weather. Costa Rica has only 2 seasons: the dry and the rainy season. The dry season is from December- April and the rainy season from May- November. However, here in Drake Bay, we might have some rain even in dry season. Sun rises at about 5 am and sets at about 6 pm consistently throughout the year. The average annual temperature is around 24 to 36 C°, being the coolest months of the year September and October and March and April the hottest ones.
- When packing to come to Drake Bay, it is important to include camera with extra batteries and a charger, binoculars, alarm clock, electrical adapter, flashlight or headlamp, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, bug repellent, first-aid kit, light clothing, bathing suit, water sandals, rain poncho, light long pants (to protect your legs from insects and also for night hikes!), socks and hiking boots. It is also important to include a large plastic bag to store wet clothes and a small one to protect your camera from rain.
- To plan your days here, it is important to take into account that tours to Caño Island or Corcovado come back on time to get the afternoon boat to Sierpe.
- If you want to come driving all the way to the hotel, from December to August, you should not have any problem. Rivers along the way will be dry enough. If you are planning to come on September, October and November, you better check with us for road and rain conditions.
- If you are taking the Tracopa bus from San José to Palmar Norte, it is important to buy your ticket at least one day in advance, specially in high season (from December to April). http://tracopacr.com. If you want to be in Sierpe on time for the 11:30am boat, buy the 5am bus ticket. The ticket costs around $12. The bus along the coast lasts around 5 hours and the bus through the mountains 6 hours.
- If your next destination is Panamá, Puerto Jimenez or La Palma, there is a local bus leaving to La Palma at 4am or 1:30 pm every day but Sundays. This bus will pick you up right in front of the hotel.